Structure and Function of Blood Vessels
- Students should be able to list the differences in structure and permeability between the three types of endothelia.
- Students should be able to list the components of endothelium that determine its permeability.
- Students should be able to describe two molecular mechanisms that increase the permeability of endothelium.
- Given a histological image, students should be able to identify the different types of blood vessels and explain the role each plays in the conduction of blood and distribution of nutrients.
- Given an histological image of a large artery, students should be able to describe the function of each layer of the wall of the artery and the components and cells in each layer.
- Given an electron micrograph of a capillary, students should be able to determine whether the capillary is continuous, fenestrated or discontinuous.